Pasta Salad with Chicken
Author: Chef Richard Lombardi
Recipe type: Salad
Serves: 4 Servings
- 6 oz. (or about 1¾ cups dry) whole-wheat fusilli
- 8 oz. cooked chicken breast, skinless and cut into thin strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cups lightly steamed broccoli florets
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, including green stem
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. chopped kalamata olives (capers may be substituted)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp. Italian herbs
- 1-2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ avocado, pitted, peeled and diced small
- Cook pasta al dente per package directions. Transfer to colander to drain and rinse thoroughly with cold water to cool.
- Gently mix all ingredients together in large salad bowl, except oil, lemon juice and avocado. (If not serving immediately, refrigerate.)
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Toss gently again until pasta is well coated.
- Add avocado and give the salad a final gentle toss immediately before serving.
Calories: 407 Fat: 15g Saturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 45g Sodium: 174mg Fiber: 9g Protein: 27